Thursday, August 28, 2014

Flannel Shirt Refashion Tutorial #1

A friend of mine is having a garage sale and asked if I needed to get rid of anything, so I've been cleaning out my closet and dresser. I came across a few flannel shirts that I love but they just didn't fit me anymore (I wore them when I was pregnant) and one was super manly.
I came across quite a few tutorials on pinterest but nothing that I really felt fit this shirt, so I came up with my own. I needed to take in the shirt a little and make it a lot more girly.
The first thing I did was remove the sleeves. I used a seam ripper because the sleeves were sewn funky and it was easier and cleaner to rip out the threads than cut them off. It did take quite a bit longer than cutting it but I'm happy with the outcome.

Next you need to take your measurements. I measured how wide I wanted the shoulder straps, how low I wanted the neckline, my underbust and my hips and added 2" to allow for the seam. Then I marked them on the shirt with a fabric pencil and then connected the dots to get my cut lines. I only cut on the front and then pinned the front of the shirt to the back to get even cut lines. When you've got it all cut, pin just the sides underneath the armpit down to the bottom. Be sure the right sides are together so you don't end up with your seams on the outside of your shirt.


 Next, pin the seams around your sleeves and sew them. I found it helpful to iron the seams after I had pinned them.


 I had to add another button and button hole to the top of my shirt because the neckline got cut right in between buttons. If you don't need another button, skip this step.


















I decided that the straps were boring, so I added a little embellishment to it. It scrunches up the front of each strap and gives it a more girly shape. I took a needle and tread and weaved it into one of the straps with one end hanging out each side (be sure the thread ends are on the wrong side of the shirt so they don't show) then I pulled the tread tight and tied it in a double not to create the scrunched part.







 I cut 2 strips a little longer and wider than I wanted the bands and then hemmed them. Then I attached one end of the strip to the side of strap and wrapped it over the top of the strap, covering the scrunched seam and hand-sewed the back.




 The shape of the shirt wasn't quite what I was looking for, so I covered a strip of elastic and added it to the lower of the back of the shirt so it would pull it a little tighter around my waist to give it a more girly shape.











I hope you enjoy this tutorial and find it helpful. :) I've got a couple more shirts that I'm going to cut apart and make something fabulous out of, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment